Holi Festival In India
Today, I’ve got an unusual travel photo from Wanderers Travel India about the Holi Festival which is celebrated in India and in many other countries of the world that have a Hindu population. You can follow The Wanderers on Facebook as well.
It looks like these kids were swimming in a big vat of bubble gum, but actually, their multi-coloured faces are caused by the ritual of rubbing heaps of dye into each other’s faces, which is all part of the Holi Festival.
Other rituals include lighting up massive bonfires and people throwing scented water at each other. Both locals and visitors alike tend to just let themselves go and run amok.
Holi, or the Festival Of Colours, is one of the most famous festivals in India has a unique charm about it. No one cares about looking multicoloured or the oppressive heat. It is all about having a lot of fun.
The Holi Festival Of Colours Description
This festival occurs all throughout India with much enthusiasm, but the two places specifically known for their unique way of celebrating Holi are Vrindavan and Mathura. 40 days prior to the main Holi day, the celebrations begin here. Dancers from different parts of India depict chapters from Lord Krishna’s life. Singing troupes perform Holi folk songs as well.
Western India celebrates the Holi Festival in a slightly different way. An elephant festival kicks off Holi celebrations in Jaipur every year on Holi eve. Elephant parades, elephant beauty contests, folk dances, and tug-of-war between elephants, locals and foreigners are all regular events. It makes Holi extra fun!
Elephant Beauty contests! Now I have to see that!
Yes, India is a completely different world, both in traditions and culture. I don’t think there’s never a dull moment in India. Wherever you look, at all times of day or night, you will see something that surprises you, confuses you, or amuses you.
More Holi Festival Stuff
For more Holi Festival info, check out Wanderer’s Travel and Holi (Celebrations in My World).
More stuff from India:
- Funny Indian Road Signs!
- Dangerous Selfies & Deaths – The No Selfie Zone!
- 6 Strange Places to Visit in India!
- Strange Indian Customs, Beliefs, Values, Culture and Rituals!
- Weird Indian Cuisine – 5 Bizarre Foods From The Subcontinent!
- Baba Photos – Be Your Own Spiritual Practice.
- Chickens For Sale. The Multicoloured Variety!
- Taking The Piss – Distilled Cow Urine. Yummo
- Cool Drinks & Recipes For Order in India. Seamen?
- Taj Mahal Photos – Love Story Irony..
- Accommodation In India Recommended By Lonely Planet. Not.
- Ethical Computer Hacking Course – Outrageous Travel Photo
- Holi Festival In India – The Festival Of Colours and Elephant Beauty Contests
- Happy Beer – Upbeat Beer From India
- That Time Of The Month – Makes Women Suffer In Rajasthani Temples
- Iconic Images – Cows In Indian Streets
- Truth In Advertising – Knockout Beer!
- Unusual Travel Photo – Cow Beach
- Auto Rickshaw – Family Transport
- Bizarre Travel Photo – Best Menu Picture!
- Bad Traffic Jam Congestion – What It Looks Like In India