Tourist Trap – The Top 10 Signs That You’re Caught in One
Tourist Trap Truths!
We all seem to know what a Tourist Trap is.
Most streetwise world travellers can spot a Tourist Trap even before we can see the high rise apartments overlooking the crowded beaches!
Anyway, a Tourist Trap can be defined as ‘A place, such as a shop or resort area, that offers overpriced goods and services to tourists.’
Actually, most of us have probably started our world travels by firstly visiting a Tourist Trap.
But to help others who are about to start their travel addiction, I’ve identified some of the common symptoms that are associated with being caught in a Tourist Trap.
Here they are – The Top 10 Signs That You’re Caught in a Tourist Trap:
1. English Breakfasts are widely available – and you’re nowhere near England.
2. When you try to buy something, there is always a [insert your nationality here] price.
3. Menus are in English, German and French – but not in the local language.
4. You can buy exactly the same crap as you can at home – for not much less.
5. Every tour, shopping item or cultural performance labelled as ‘authentic’ isn’t.
6. Souveniers are all made in China – and you’re not holidaying in China.
7. The Tourist Trap destination is popular with the following groups – package holiday tourists, bucks party hordes and skin cancer searchers.
8. You’re staying in the same hotel chain that you have stayed in for the last 5 holidays.
9. Two words – Timeshare apartments; and finally
10. Your search for ‘Tourist Trap’ on the Lonely Planet website brings up the Tourist Trap you are staying in!
So there you go!
You will now know if you are caught in a Tourist Trap!
Also check out Tourist Trap: When Holiday Turns to Nightmare.